Recussing the work to some one else

This week, I read the news item that High court judge has recused the case of Gopal Kanda involved in suicide case to some other bench/judge. I know of the Sr. officer similarly recussing the case of disciplinary action against an employee who used to use abusive language against many in our organization. I do not know the reasons of recusing the work allotted before or midway.
Can I recuse my work to some one else? I wish I too...whenever the task is hot (I mean controversial). Unfortunately, I am not high official to do so. I will be accused of avoiding/dereliction of my responsibilities. I may face wrath of my supervisor; and even a disciplinary action.

The google search for meaning of 'recuse' shows "
challenge (a judge or juror) as unqualified to perform legal duties because of a potential conflict of interest or lack of impartiality". 

By the way, what could be potential conflict of interest for a judge to be impartial. Is it not necessary for the judge to state conflicts of interest ? Is it not necessary for him to take approval of his superior ?

Most of the cases where a judge has recused himself are related to politics or a bit criminal cases involving suicide/murder. Why should a judge recuse himself in such cases? There is almost no case of recusal where technical knowledge is essence and difficult to grasp. Of course, a judge does depend up on the experts as in case of GM technology. Is there any case wherein judge said that  hi technicality of the case requires good indepth knowledge of technology and hence, he is recusing the case?

Interestingly in one of the cases in 2017, the SC equated recusing (transfer from one judge to another) of a case (alleged bribery case in medical college approval or admission) on the request of petitioner as contempt of court. Should the judge be exempted when he recuses a case to other judge from dereliction of duties?

PS: This was drafted in March 2012, revised today on April 10, 2018  and is posted now. In between, there are many cases of recussion of cases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How robust is our pesticide policy? A case of waiting period or post-harvest interval for safe consumption of produce

Probit Analysis of bioassays: Sure, you are seriously talking about it

Pheromone-based Crop Protection: Mating Disruption technology needs many researchable inputs to succeed sustainably