“Your legs will no longer be a burden, but will carry your burden easily”

 

 

Two years of my knee cap replacement [KCR} surgery

                                        Photo of legs at knees: Straight standing position

                                X-ray of bent legs-right and left as shown with R and L

 

 13 January, 2023

In Jan 2022, I talked about my first years’ experience of surgery. This was full of hope and occasionally doubts if the surgery has gone well. Even after physiotherapy under the expert guidance over the first few months, I found that knee joint was not normal as expected. I continued doing exercises like standstill cycling, leg stretching, and walking. The right one often was found to be smooth without any feeling of bulging and/or stiffness. However, the left knee continued to be stuffy and hard-to-flex or a bit of jam. Often, I got the feeling that there is heaviness at the left knee. During the first year, I walked about 2 km a day on the average. I met the surgeon to complain about stiffness and he prescribed some medicines. I took some and ignore others.  Stiffness continued for a long time.

I drove my CVT car from Delhi to Mumbai with six days stay in between in Dec 2021 over the period of ten days. I drove back in Jan 2022 the same route. I had no problem except for stiffness at knees.

Again, I drove the relatively big-size SUV with gear-clutch system during Feb-March 2022 for 200 km during our journey from Delhi to Nagpur. Later, I drove the same vehicle over the distance of about 1200 km for about ten days from Nagpur to Ajanta-Caves-Jalgaon and back to Nagpur all the time. The road between Badnera and Jalgaon were not so good. We had a puncture near Ajanta Caves.  Ajanta caves are a great sight seeing but are not comfortable to the elders as the steps are too high and absence of railing to hold. I visited important 5-6 caves. It was exhausting but manageable. The SUV being heavy, I had a fatigue and a lot of stiffness, little pain during the drive. But it all vanished after a rest. Surely, it was not the kind of pain that one experiences prior to surgery. This time, I realised how ease is it to have a CVT/auto car rather than one with manual with clutch-gear system which needs to to be pressed every time you need to change gears.

In May 2022, we had to go to Mumbai again from Delhi. We drove our CVT car with four stops over a week period. It was all smooth driving and great experience. The stiffness of knees continued. With rest, I felt just fine. I walked. Sometime, I got the feeling that my walking was uneven, as stiffness in both knees differed. During the period of July to August, due to regular rains in Mumbai, my walking was less. The walking steadiness was poor. Later, as rains subsided, I started regularly walking about 3-4 km from September. The walking steadiness improved a lot, as determined by the app in the smart phone. Walking steadiness is an indication of likelihood of your fall over a course of year. If it is at a level below OK, the chances of falling down are more. With regular walking, my steadiness improved and touched OK mark. I walked at least 5000 steps daily in the park nearby. Occasionally, I felt that insert inside the knee was not of good quality. I never doubted the competence of the surgeon. Is the stiffness due to poor quality of insert/implant made in India? The surgeon had asked about it at the time of surgery and I left the choice of insert to him. He used the one made in India. He told that the insert was good enough for 10-15 years. I was 68 that time. I felt happy that at least with these implant, I will now have to live to make best use of them for paisa vasul [get compensated]. Doctor meant that too subtly. Most inserts are made in India with foreign collaborations and licenses, as I was told. One of my friends who also underwent similar surgery had paid extra to get the imported from abroad. I did not follow him. This is my contribution to the make-in-India product.

In October 2022, I met another orthopaedic doctor to have his opinion. He suggested the X ray [photo] which I saw it the first time. Of course, after my surgery and before discharge from the hospital in Jan 2021, the X-ray of my knees was taken, but was not shown to me. Later, when I enquired, the medical staff said that it was with the doctor or was being filed to be sent to the CGHS who paid my hospital bills. And that was it. I did not show curiosity to look at the insert, but often felt like seeing it as to what it might look like.

The review of KCR through X ray [photo straight and with legs bent at knee] and physical examination in September by this doctor boosted my confidence that surgery was fine. This doctor too suggested regular exercises. As I walked and did exercises like walking with bending at knees, my conditions of knees showed improvement with less of stiffness. Now I feel better, yearning for walk every day.

So, only mantra for those with KCR is walking, bending at knees, cycling and other physical exercises daily. You may occasionally take an advice of physiotherapist as he or she might advise additional exercises or only those which are most important. I did not meet the physiotherapist myself in this second year of surgery. I am comfortable with the walking, a bit of cycling, extra bending and flexing of legs over 200-250 times at home in standing position, 20-25 minutes of badminton and carrying out of household chores daily. Normally, I do not lift heavy objects, but no problem while doing a bit of running or climbing up or down the staircase. I do not get knee pains like those before surgery. Fortunately, I maintained my weight around 70 kg throughout this period. I am fine. And I hope you too. Wishing you and your family a very happy Lohri and Makar Sankranti.

My final advice to those suffering from arthritis and are afraid of surgery is to prepare yourself mentally with positive thought of success of surgery. KCR surgery is a better option than being a statue or burden at home and suffering in silence. It is only then with KCR surgery that “your legs will no longer be a burden, but will carry your burden easily”. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How robust is our pesticide policy? A case of waiting period or post-harvest interval for safe consumption of produce

Probit Analysis of bioassays: Sure, you are seriously talking about it

Pheromone-based Crop Protection: Mating Disruption technology needs many researchable inputs to succeed sustainably